Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Transition: Part I of too many to count and counting


Some thoughts on impending moves and such

I love this poem by Marianne Moore:

Silence

My father used to say,
"Superior people never make long visits,
have to be shown Longfellow's grave
or the glass flowers at Harvard.
Self-reliant like the cat--
that takes its prey to privacy,
the mouse's limp tail hanging like a shoelace from its mouth--
they sometimes enjoy solitude,
and can be robbed of speech
by speech which delights them.
The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence;
not in silence, but restraint."
Nor was he insincere in saying, "Make my house your inn."
Inns are not residences.

Wondrous it is that a little golden haired girl and her cooing cohort can rob me of speech. I hope I can remember that "Inns are not residences."




 photo signature_zps81da742f.png

2 comments:

  1. They may not be residences, but you'd certainly be welcome to take up residence in MY residence anytime you please'm (as Mrs. Tiggiewinkle would say).

    My friend Rosie (http://rosie-ablogformymom.blogspot.com) just bought a farm house that includes a house out back to which her MOM IS MOVING INTO. Basically, it's what we should do, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you retire, you'll write here more right??

    ReplyDelete